July 11, 2010

I like the word indolence.....

I like the word "indolence". It makes my laziness seem classy... Bern Williams

I know.. I know.. I have been pretty lazy last few days (ok! ok! weeks...). And I have tons of excuses for not writing regularly.. like we moved into a new place, been unpacking, organizing, my demanding kid etc etc.

Even my friends have started asking 'When will we get the RSS feed of your new blog post?' or 'What is the new project you are working on?'.  Reality is I haven't touched my crafting supplied for over a month now. In fact they are still packed in boxes stored in the new computer/craft room. The new netflix account is not helping much either. So today I decided to write and break the block. 

All I need now is a good topic, but somehow searching for a topic to write about is very difficult in this state of laziness. Although I do have some projects that I worked on earlier that I never got around sharing with you. One being the exhibition where I displayed my handmade clips at.


A couple months ago a friend suggested that I should participate in a buyers exhibition called Americasmart. It sounded like a good idea to see the business side of crafting and design. I accompanied her in her stall for a day. My first reaction when I entered the ginormous exhibition space extensively packed with exhibitors and buyers was of shock and fear. I felt lost looking at all these people who knew what they are doing in that popular exhibition that I had never even heard of. I was standing there with a boxful of my creations mocking myself for being so clueless. I displayed my hand made designs on a small table which felt like a pebble in the pond.



It all started with me trying to make a few clips for my daughter. I was enjoying the process so much that I kept making more and more and more. I designed several templates on my computer and began making these goodies. Trying to find color combinations to go with the cute outfits of my daughter. I made a small bib style necklace for her (can't give her the beaded necklaces, choking hazard) and several other clips. Then I displayed them at the exhibition hall scared that no one will notice them. But to my surprise most people were supportive, they were trying to motivate me and navigate me in the right direction. I got a few inquiries too which made me ecstatic (they couldn't materialize though, as I am not ready to handle big orders yet).

In the future I am tempted to try a bigger stall in another exhibition with more designs and products. For now my creations are for my little princess and are for the baby girls in our family and friends. 

6 comments:

  1. love the necklace and hair clips are pretty too

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice... Finally you talk bout ur experience in that exhibition. First steps don't necessarily take you somewhere but help you assess things in some perspective so the next step is more productive. Badiya hai that you took that first step so when you actually think of your own stuff you've had some perspective. It's Cool :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. great girl...as Nishu says that you finally talked about your feelings from de exhibition. Live feedback is always good, and makes you more tuned towards customer needs. Now, just business sense, n you would be all set to go solo :-)
    Stay blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Im glad u got a feel of the AmericasMart. I was as new as you and it was a learning curve... ppl were surely impressed... and orders will roll in soon... get on to etsy. its a great platform.

    good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great to see you back in flow :-) I am sure that such experiences will push you for doing this at larger scale. Keep going Divya!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you everyone.. Really appreciate the encouragement..

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...